What started out as a wish for some oatmeal granola to top my yogurt turned into a full apple crisp. These things happen in my kitchen.
Awhile back I made the smittenkitchen Breakfast Apricot Crisp and it was wonderful, so that apricot crisp recipe provided the roadmap for my Apple Raisin Crisp.
Adapted from Breakfast Apricot Crisp on smittenkitchen.
- 2 medium or 1 1/2 large granny smith apples, chopped into a large dice
- 3 tbls sugar
- 1 tbls freshly-milled soft white wheat flour
- 2 oz raisins
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 oz butter, melted
- 6 tbls Demerara sugar
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 1/2 oz freshly-milled soft white wheat flour
- Pinch of salt
- 3-4 tbls coarsely ground almonds
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Stir together the fruit base ingredients in the baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the melted butter and sugar until just mixed. Stir in the oats, flour, salt, and almonds until all ingredients are moistened. Spread over the prepared fruit and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. After 25 minutes the top of mine was quite warm, so I reduced the heat to 350° and covered for the remaining time (about 25 minutes). Serve warm, or serve cold with yogurt.